Followers

Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Big 3-1

Today, I turned 31-years-old. I'm calling it "Thirty-One-Derful" in anticipation of the great things this year will bring! I know, it's pretty cheesy, but I think that's fitting considering how I've always felt about blogs. I used to think these were just a vehicle for self-promotion to the world and so not me, but I feel like now that I'm officially into my thirties, it might be nice to do a little documentation of what is going on in my life. Plus, I've really enjoyed being nosy about other people's lives through reading their innermost thoughts on their blogs, so I figured I'd start one of my own. :)

This is really the first year that I didn't (and won't) have a formal party in celebration of my birthday, but I have to say, it's been great just the same, and a little humbling too. A newly-made friend of mine invited me over for breakfast this morning, and it was fantastic! This new friend, Carmen, is someone who I met at the church I started attending regularly this year, and her friendship has been such a blessing for me. For a while during and after college, I lost touch with what it means to really be Christian, and Carmen is one of the first new Christian friends I've made in a long time. She is so loving and so willing to serve, and she's just been a huge positive influence in my life. She made a delicious waffle breakfast for our friend Allison and I, and it was a great way to start my day!

The humbling part of my birthday - I went to a Maundy Thursday potluck with my new church family (the Highrock Quincy church plant group), and I managed NOT to tell them that today was "my" day. For people who know me, this was HUGE! I absolutely love attention, and so to be quiet and enjoy this day that we used to remember Jesus' last day before his trial and crucifixion instead of drawing the attention my way was a hard thing to do. But you know what? It was wonderful. And I didn't feel any less loved knowing that the 15 other people in the room had no idea that it was my birthday.

For those who did wish me a happy birthday, thanks! It was very happy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment